Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Coconut Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies- Deviously Delicious!



I've just started baking within the last couple of years-- oh no, that's not correct-- I just started baking things that taste delcious in the last couple of years.

My kids and I made these cookies this past weekend and they were amazing. We ate the entire first batch before the second was even finished baking.

One tip which I think has made a marked improvement in my results is: take the butter and eggs out of the refrigerator about 30 minutes prior to take the chill out of them.

A second tip someone turned me on to was using baking paper (click here to see). This stuff rocks. I no longer need to grease cookie sheets (and I use it to bake salmon on too!)-- and then easy clean up. I cannot believe I have been cooking this long with out it!



So here's a recipe for yummy cookies which you will love:

Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 9-11 minutes per batch

Ingredients:

*Tip- if you do not have whole wheat flour, rolled oats and/or ground flaxseed you can substitute the missing amount of either/all with regular flour.
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 cup sugar (I use organic raw sugar)
  • 1/2 cup light brown sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon coconut flavoring (optional)
  • 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (I try to use organic stone ground whole wheat flour)
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup ground flaxseed (also known as ground linseed)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups semisweet or dark chocolate chips
  • 2 cups sweetened flaked coconut (unsweetened is fine too)
How to make the cookies:
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees Celsius).
  2. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar and white sugar (I use a hand mixer-- you can use a stand mixer or just a wooden spoon-- but the wooden spoon would be a lot of effort)!
  3. Add the eggs one at a time, beating them into the mixture.
  4. Stir in the vanilla and coconut flavoring (optional).
  5. In a separate bowl combine white flour, wheat flour, ground flaxseed, baking soda, and salt.
  6. Add the dry ingredients slowly to the sugar, butter mixture and stir (by hand or machine) until evenly blended. Do not over mix.
  7. Fold in the chocolate chips and flaked coconut.
  8. Drop by rounded spoonfuls (I use my scooper) onto either a greased or paper lined cookie sheet.
  9. Bake for about 9-11 minutes in preheated oven. Carefully transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool.



4 comments:

SuperMindy said...

Oh they look so yummy, I noticed you too have a pampered chef cookie scoop thingy..

My aunt brought 2 of them over for me when she came a small one and a large one

Laura said...

Hey Mindy, I love that scooper thing! Mine's not Pampered Chef, but I love Pampered Chef!! I have the big and little ones, I think I got them at either Marshalls or William-Sonoma?
See you tomorrow!

Natalie Que said...

These were so good Laura! I have really, really been trying to be good, but I think I might have to make these today.

Thanks for shooting my willpower to hell!

suzinoz said...

These cookies are delicious. We finally gathered all the ingredients and made them today. Thanks for sharing the recipe!