Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Oatmeal Date Carrot Breakfast Mini Muffins



My boys put on their aprons and chef costumes, get up on their step stools, and help me make these. They put the muffin liners in, they "help" measure, they crack eggs.
They eat lunch while the muffins bake, and then they get rewarded for all their hard work by hitting the all-you-can-eat-mini-muffin-buffet!

I'm not sure if you can appreciate how much enjoyment I take in watching my little studmuffins eat their mini-muffins filled with carrots, dates, flaxseed, and oatmeal-- then beg for more.
Sure honey, have another. Eat up little guys, make mama proud.

The next few mornings the kids each get a muffin after their breakfast. The kids think they're getting a fabulous treat, and it's all good.

Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 10-12 minutes-- You can also make regular size muffins, mini-loaves, or regular size bread loaves see time chart at bottom for other sizes.

Ingredients:

*Tip-
if you do not have whole wheat flour and/or ground flaxseed you can substitute the missing amount of either/both with regular flour
  • 1 1/4 cups quick cooking oats or rolled oats
  • 1 1/4 cups milk
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil (or rice bran oil)
  • 1 carrot finely grated
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup of chopped dates (probably about 4 dates chopped)
  • 3/4 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup ground flaxseed (also known as linseed)
  • 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup chopped pecans (optional, I don't use nuts)
How to become the muffin man:
  1. Combine oats and milk and let stand for 15 minutes.
  2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees Celsius).
  3. Line mini-muffin tin with paper liners or grease the mini-muffin tin.
  4. In large bowl combine oat & milk mixture, egg, oil, brown sugar, grated carrot, chopped dates, chocolate chips, and pecans (optional).
  5. In a separate bowl combine regular flour, whole wheat flour, ground flaxseed, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Stir around a little.
  6. Add bowl of dry ingredients to large bowl of wet ingredients and stir only until everything is moist (do not overstir).
  7. Fill mini-muffin cups to top, but not overflowing. Tip: I use a small ice cream scooper --click here to see what I use-- to get just the right amount and squeeze the handle for a perfect drop everytime!
  8. Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees Celsius) for about 10-12 minutes. Stick a toothpick in the center of a couple, if it comes out clean- they are done.
  9. Remove from oven and put muffins on a cooling rack or the counter is just fine.
  10. Reload and throw in the next batch, repeat until all batter is done. I think it made about 48 mini-muffins.
  11. Yum, yum-- go eat some!!!
Cook times for other types of breads/muffins: (this is my standard guideline chart I use for all bread/muffins)
  • 30-40 minutes for mini-loaves
  • 55-65 minutes for regular loaves
  • 10-15 minutes for mini-muffins
  • 25-35 minutes for regular size muffins
  • Stick a toothpick in the center and if it comes out clean, they are done.


4 comments:

Jill Stevens, Licensed Acupuncturist, Chinese Herbalist said...

These look amazing. I love the photo!

Ann said...

Thanks for the comments on my blog. I think you have a great blog with a lot of good recipes and I'm happy to add you to my favorites list.

Thistlemoon said...

Those look and sound GREAT. I am always looking for healthy muffin recipes. I believe these are next! I have dates and carrots and all the flours! This is something you can feel good about your kids eating!

Welcome to The Foodie Blogroll!

Anonymous said...

YUMMY looking, I'll have to get out the mixing bowl and give it a try!

Denise
http://www.WineFoodPairing.blogspot.com